Saturday, December 18, 2010

Painting - Day 1

I had two goals for today.

1) Get the attic/3rd floor cleaned
2) Get started painting

The first goal was actually pretty easy. The playroom needed swept and the guest room needed vacuumed and dusted. After I swept the playroom floor it became obvious that it needed mopped too.

My mom and dad came down to help and my sister B came to watch E at our apartment.

While my dad and I ran to the paint store, M and Mom took care of the attic. When we returned ($87 later) the attic was finished and Mom was even working on the family room floor. She continued to clean in the kitchen while we prepped the master bedroom and E's bedroom for painting.

E's room was a 5 year-old girl's room and pink with Disney princess vinyl wall decals. Thankfully the vinyl came off easily. We finished up getting that room prepped for painting before lunch.

After lunch M, Dad, and I returned to the house. Mom stayed with E and B came over to see the house for the first time and help prep the master bedroom for painting while we got started on E's room. Dad and I got the whole room painted and decided it will probably be good with one coat. We painted it a shade of blue called "Songbird" in an eggshell finish. I was sure that room would take more paint, but when we were done we had over half the gallon left.

The master bedroom, on the other hand, just seemed to soak up paint. With four doors (hallway, out to deck, two closets) and two windows I thought for sure that it wouldn't take much paint. I don't know if it was because it was a flat finish or what, but we had maybe 1/3 left when we finished. The color we chose was also a blue, but more of a gray-blue, called "Scandinavian Sky." I'm not sure if we will need a second coat or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment