Tuesday, December 21, 2010

O' Christmas Tree...

I put the tree up. It doesn't have lights or ornaments yet because those are still sitting in our apartment basement, but it is now up in the family room at the house.

Today was an all-around great day for getting things, although it feels that very little actually got done.

Since we were out doing a little Christmas shopping at the mall today and Lowe's is right there, we stopped in. There were some practical things we needed like salt for the driveway/sidewalk and salt for the water softener as well as new furnace filters.

Then there were some other things I wanted to look for. I found a new shower head. This is one of those upgrades I like to do because it is so simple and can be done relatively inexpensively and I feel like it makes a big difference.

I also wanted to look at closet/cabinet organizers. For being an old house I have to say the closet space is really fantastic; however, unlike our apartment there wasn't a whole lot of built-in shelving that was left behind, so we are in need of some of that. Plus, they make these great cube storage units that would be excellent for E's toys upstairs. We didn't actually get anything like that today, but I am trying to see what is out there and what kind of cost to expect.

One of the great surprises today was finding a rug for up in the play room. I had been looking on-line at some of those roadway/town rugs for upstairs, but they were really expensive! I saw this one for $19 and had to get it. Which led us to check out the area rug selection for the family room. We weren't actually planning on getting anything today, but then we saw one that we both liked and it felt nice, and the price was good for the 5x8 size. Then we looked closer and saw it was on clearance so we had to get it! Unfortunately at the moment it is now covered with artificial pine needles, but those will be vacuumed up. I wanted the 5x8 size to help define a seating area in there rather than a full sized room rug. I really feel like that is more than we need.

After our shopping excursion E needed a nap, we needed lunch, and I needed boxes from the liquor store to pack up our glasses in. M went out to get those and my parents came down with my twin bed my sister had borrowed last year. I was ready to get that because then I have somewhere other than just the floor to lay E down for a nap until we actually get moved in.

Well it wasn't just the bed that they wanted to bring down. They had talked about getting us a housewarming gift and given us a list to choose what we wanted. M and I both settled on an electric fireplace. Well, the ones my dad had seen and wanted to get were all sold out. So we chose a second glider chair and ottoman for our upstairs deck. It turns out the store had the fireplaces back in stock, so my parents went ahead with our first choice and surprised with it! I really was happy to have it there before we are really moved in so that it looks more like it really belongs there. It does give the living room a much cozier feel. Of course that could also be because we finally turned the heat up since the gas switched over to our names today!

Anyhow, we got a few more boxes packed and moved over today, although I didn't really get any unpacking done. I took down all the painting tape from our bedroom and got the vent and light plates back up. We finally got their old shower curtain down (and that was a lot harder than it should have been!) and our shower curtain up. I'm not sure why they didn't take their shower curtain or bath mats with them, but I had to get them out of there. Not that the shower curtain wasn't nice, but I had to feel like it was our bathroom not someone else's.

The whole "this is actually ours" thing has been interesting to deal with. It doesn't totally feel like ours just yet. It is starting to feel a little less like theirs. The rooms I painted feel better. It felt better when my bookcases came over last night and my books went in them. My library always makes it actually feel like my home. The bathroom being switched to our things helps. Overall I guess that the 2nd floor is starting to feel most like ours. I know it will help a lot when our furniture and everything gets there. It helps too the more trash we get out. It isn't all the seller's stuff either. Some of it is stuff that has been there for who knows how long. The storage shed is full of stuff! There will certainly be plenty of spring cleaning to do!

Last but not least, before leaving I took down most of the curtains that were left and brought them back with me to wash. They were really dusty, especially the kitchen curtains! They are all clean and ironed as needed and ready to go back now. I can live with the curtains for now, but I am definitely going to want to do some different things, I am just going to have to take some time to figure out what it is I want to do.

We also brought the cat over with us today. She mostly stayed in her carrier, and when she did come out she stay within about a 3 foot area. I was kind of surprised about her reaction. When we moved here we brought her down a few times before the big move and she was exploring everywhere. I guess kittens are more open to change than adult cats are. I think she will love it once she gets used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment